Top 10 Pet Insurance Companies in USA For 2024: In-Depth Analysis
When it comes to protecting your cherished pets, choosing the right insurance is paramount. This comprehensive analysis presents the top 10 pet insurance companies in the USA for 2024, along with their websites, advantages, drawbacks, and unique features.
1. HealthyPaws - Tailored Protection for Your Pet
Introducing Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Discover peace of mind with Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, a comprehensive solution designed to safeguard your beloved dogs and cats from unexpected accidents and illnesses. Our singular plan extends coverage to a wide range of situations, encompassing injuries, illnesses such as cancer, and various chronic, congenital, and hereditary conditions.
Our commitment goes beyond the basics – we cover essential diagnostics like X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, as well as extensive treatments such as surgeries and hospitalizations. Additionally, prescription medications and alternative therapies, like acupuncture, are included in our holistic approach to pet health.
Receive reimbursement for up to 90% of covered veterinary expenses, without worrying about per-incident, annual, or lifetime caps on payouts. At Healthy Paws, we understand the importance of flexibility, allowing pet owners to tailor their plans by selecting a deductible and reimbursement percentage that aligns with their financial preferences. Opting for a higher deductible and lower reimbursement rate can result in a more affordable premium.
While our coverage is extensive, transparency is key. It's essential to note that exam fees, wellness care, and dental healthcare are not included in our policies. Like many pet insurance providers, preexisting conditions are also not covered.
Filing claims is a hassle-free process through our online platform or dedicated mobile app, with most claims processed within a swift 2-day timeframe. Obtain personalized quotes effortlessly online, and take comfort in knowing that Healthy Paws is not just committed to protecting your pets but also contributing to the welfare of animals in need. Through our foundation, we support rescue organizations by providing essential pet medical care, making a donation for each quote received.
Accessible in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, the Healthy Paws pet insurance plan is proudly underwritten by the esteemed Chubb Group of companies. Trust us to be your partner in ensuring a healthier, happier life for your furry companions.
- Comprehensive coverage for accidents and illnesses.
- No lifetime limits on payouts.
- Doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.
Unique Benefit: HealthyPaws supports homeless pets through the Every Quote Gives Hope program.
2. Embrace Pet Insurance - Embracing Total Wellness
Summary: Embrace, which sells pet insurance policies for dogs and cats in all 50 states, is tied at No. 2 in our rating of the best pet insurance companies. It offers policyholders multiple options for customizing their premiums, and in addition to its plans covering accidents and illnesses, has an add-on for wellness care.
Coverage and costs: Embrace has accident-and-illness plans and policies that cover accidents only. Dogs and cats 14 and younger are eligible for the former; the latter is the only sign-up option for pets 15 and older. However, once a pet is signed up, the coverage they’re granted will be there for life.
Embrace has an add-on that can provide three tiers of routine wellness coverage: $250, $450, or $650. All Embrace plans come with the Healthy Pet Deductible, which reduces deductibles $50 each year a policyholder goes without being reimbursed for a claim. The insurer’s waiting periods are 48 hours for accidents and 14 days for illnesses.
Embrace’s sample rates are some of the lowest in our study, and it’s also No. 2 in our rating of the Cheapest Pet Insurance Companies. Its sample rate for a dog is $29.71 per month, and for a cat the sample rate is $12.22.
Customizations: Reimbursement rate options for an accident-and-illness policy are 70%, 80%, and 90%, and annual deductible options are from $100 to $1,000. Annual coverage limits range from $5,000 to unlimited.
Accident-only policies have a $100 deductible, 90% reimbursement rate, and $5,000 annual limit.
- Coverage for accidents, illnesses, and routine care.
- Offers a diminishing deductible feature.
- Some customers report occasional delays in reimbursement.
Unique Benefit: Embrace covers alternative therapies, including chiropractic and acupuncture.
3. Nationwide Pet Insurance - A Trusted Name in Pet Protection
Summary: Nationwide sells policies in all 50 states, and unlike most pet insurers we studied, offers coverage for a wide range of animals besides dogs and cats. Its plans can cover accidents and illnesses, and wellness coverage is also available. The insurer is tied at No. 5 in our rating.
Coverage and costs: Nationwide’s offerings include plans that cover injuries from accidents, illnesses such as cancer and hereditary conditions, diagnostic testing, and prescription medications. Other coverages offered include hospitalizations and surgeries. Wellness plans are also available.
Its sample rates — $61.62 per month for a dog, and $28.47 per month for a cat — are among the highest in our analysis of insurers.
In addition to offering a wide range of coverages for dogs and cats, Nationwide sells avian and exotic pet insurance, which covers birds, reptiles, amphibians, a number of small mammals, and other pets that most companies don’t insure.
Customizations: Nationwide has deductible options available starting as low as $100. Some of its plans reimburse policyholders according to a schedule of benefits, which means a set amount is paid per condition. For more on its options, see our full review, or contact the company or one of its agents for additional information.
- Extensive coverage options, including wellness plans.
- Coverage for hereditary conditions.
- Premiums can be higher compared to other providers.
Unique Benefit: Nationwide offers an online pet community for members to connect and share experiences.
4. Petplan - Tailored Plans for Every Pet
Summary: In addition to being rated No. 1 overall, Petplan is also No. 1 in our rating of the Best UK Pet Insurance for Dogs and No. 1 in Best UK Pet Insurance for Cats. It offers both lifetime and time-limited policy options and they cover cats, dogs, rabbits and horses. Additionally, it is company policy that your premiums will never increase due to making claims on your policy.
However, there is a limit on animals that can enrol in their lifetime plans. It is not available after 10 years old for cats and 8 years old for dogs (sometimes 5 years old for dogs, depending on the breed).
Cover and costs:
There are two policies to choose from: Covered for Life and the Essential plan. The Covered For Life policy provides ongoing cover for vet bills, as long as you renew annually with no break in cover. Pet owners can claim for the same condition each year up to their chosen annual limit of £4,000, £7,000 or £12,000.
For those who prefer short-term cover, Petplan’s Essential plan is a time-limited policy that lasts 12 months with cover up to £3,000 for each illness or injury. Once the 12-month or £3,000 limit has been reached, your pet will no longer be covered for that condition.
Though Petplan does not have a specific pre-existing condition plan, it does claim to cover some cases. These are considered on a case-by-case basis after an application is submitted. Conditions most likely to be accepted are ones that have fully resolved but emerge again later in life.
Petplan’s sample rate for insuring a dog is £39.81 per month, and the sample rate for cats is £13.85 monthly. While the cat insurance is average for the companies we analysed, the dog insurance is slightly on the higher side of the options.
Optional Cover: Petplan’s dog and cat insurance policies include several cover options as standard, including emergency boarding and holiday cancellation cover. Applicants can also choose to add death cover to their policy for an additional fee.
- Customizable coverage for various pets.
- Option for unlimited annual coverage.
- Some policyholders report occasional rate increases.
Unique Benefit: Petplan covers boarding fees for your pet if you are hospitalized for more than 4 days.
5. ASPCA Pet Insurance - Advocating for Pet Health
Summary: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has policies that cover accidents and illnesses, and an accident-only plan. It is one of the few insurers in our rating to cover animals other than cats and dogs, selling policies that cover horses. The insurer has a 14-day waiting period before coverage kicks in. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance, tied at No. 5 in our rating, provides coverage in all 50 states.
Coverage and costs: ASPCA Pet Health Insurance’s rates are some of the lowest we found for cat insurance, and its rates for dogs are competitive as well. It has a sample rate of $16.16 per month to insure a cat, and $36.64 for a dog. Its accident-and-illness policies include coverage for hereditary and congenital conditions, chronic conditions, and dental illnesses, along with alternative therapies and prescription medications. Injuries such as bites, broken bones, and cuts are among the things covered by an accident-only plan.
Optional wellness coverage can be added to either plan. The company states that it normally processes claims within 30 days.
- Portion of proceeds supports the ASPCA.
- Coverage for behavioral issues.
- May have waiting periods for certain conditions.
Unique Benefit: ASPCA members receive a 10% multi-pet discount.
6. Figo Pet Insurance - Innovating Pet Protection
Summary: Figo, the No. 8 insurer in our rating, sells policies that insure dogs and cats against injuries and illnesses. The company’s waiting period for injuries caused by accidents is one day, and for illnesses, the waiting period is 14 days. Figo pet insurance plans are available in every state. It does not have an upper-age limit for coverage.
Coverage and costs: Figo’s policies cover injuries resulting from accidents and a range of illnesses, including cancer. Policies also provide coverage for a number of other expenses, including prosthetics, hereditary conditions, and prescription medications. The company does not place any per-incident caps on the number of claims you can file. It offers optional coverage for vet exam fees, and there is an add-on for wellness coverage. In addition, the company offers an Extra Care Pack that covers things like boarding fees, and cremation and burial expenses.
Figo’s sample rates are $29.55 per month for dogs, and $16.74 per month for cats. It is No. 4 in our rating of the cheapest pet insurance companies for dogs.
Customization: Policyholders can choose deductible amounts from $100 to $750, and annual limits that range from $5,000 for some policies to unlimited for others. Figo is one of the only insurers in our study to offer a 100% reimbursement rate for some plans. Other options are 70%, 80%, and 90%.
- User-friendly mobile app for policy management.
- Offers a 100% reimbursement option.
- Some customers report occasional delays in customer service responses.
Unique Benefit: Figo's Pet Cloud app helps organize your pet's medical records, appointments, and more.
7. Trupanion - Simplifying Pet Insurance
Trupanion Pet Insurance Review
Trupanion’s basic policy for dogs or cats includes coverage for a number of hereditary conditions, like diabetes and thyroid disease, and congenital conditions like heart disease and liver disease. It also covers undiagnosed conditions that lead to symptoms such as coughing, vomiting, or a change in weight. It offers some coverages not all its competitors provide, such as herbal therapy, prosthetic devices, and carts.
It also covers more common pet medical expenses such as surgeries, hospital stays, diagnostic tests, and medications.
Unlike other pet insurers in our rating, Trupanion can make direct payments to vets for covered expenses, whereas most companies reimburse pet owners after they already have paid for care. The company doesn’t limit the number of payouts you can receive for covered events.
Trupanion’s coverages don’t come cheap. Compared to other insurers in our rating, its policies cost more.
It’s worth noting that Trupanion won’t create new policies for pets 14 years of age and older, though once a policy is in effect Trupanion won’t raise rates due to a pet’s age.
Trupanion does not offer a wellness plan.
What Trupanion Covers
Trupanion offers pet insurance policies for cats and dogs. Trupanion plans cover accidents and illnesses, as well as breed-specific and congenital issues. There are also policy add-ons available for cats and dogs that are breeding pets and for pet owners assistance, which can cover things like damage your pet causes to someone else’s property or boarding fees for your pet if you become hospitalized.
What Trupanion Doesn’t Cover
Trupanion doesn’t offer coverage for exotic pets, like birds, reptiles, or small mammals. Nationwide is the only insurer in our rating that offers insurance for birds and exotic pets.
In addition, since Trupanion doesn’t offer a wellness policy or rider, it won’t cover things like preventative care. Trupanion also won’t cover your exam fees.
Deductible. Trupanion plans offer you a wide selection of deductibles, ranging from $0 to $1,000. While a $0 deductible may sound tempting, keep in mind that, generally, the lower the deductible, the higher the monthly premium. Trupanion’s deductibles are a lifetime per condition type. This means that per condition you will only have to pay the deductible once.
Waiting Period. Like all the companies in our rating, Trupanion has waiting periods for its policies. A waiting period is the amount of time after a policy starts before you can start filing claims. Trupanion’s five-day waiting period for accidents is among the shortest in our rating, while its 30-day waiting period for illnesses is the longest.
Coverage Limits. Trupanion’s plans don’t have coverage limits. Some of the companies and agencies in our rating have either annual or per condition coverage limits, which could limit the amount paid out for covered treatment.
Age Limits. Cats and dogs must be under the age of 14 years in order to be eligible for coverage from Trupanion.
Claims Process. Unlike other insurers in our rating, Trupanion does not require policyholders to submit claims to the company in order to be reimbursed for covered expenses. Instead, Trupanion pays the veterinarian directly when the pet parent checks out at the end of the visit. There are no claim forms required, nor does the vet’s office need to use Trupanion’s proprietary software in order to be paid, according to a company representative.
- Single, comprehensive coverage option.
- Direct payment to veterinarians for eligible expenses.
- No coverage for wellness or preventive care.
Unique Benefit: Trupanion offers a lifetime per-condition deductible.
8. Lemonade Pet Insurance - A Refreshing Approach to Pet Coverage
Summary: No. 4 Lemonade may be a good choice for pet insurance, but its plans are not available everywhere — it sells policies in 37 states. The insurer has a single plan that covers accidents and illnesses, and it offers a broader array of add-ons than most companies in our rating. It has a waiting period of two days for accidents and 14 days for illnesses.
Coverage and costs: Lemonade has one plan that covers accidents and illnesses for dogs and cats. It provides coverage for injuries, and illnesses like cancer and diabetes, as well as conditions like allergies and arthritis. Medications and diagnostic tests are among the other items covered by the base plan, and the company offers wellness coverage in the form of an add-on. Its sample rates are $31.01 per month to cover a dog, and $16.63 per month for cat insurance.
Customizations: Lemonade’s premiums can be customized by selecting a deductible amount, an annual benefit limit as high as $100,000, and reimbursement rates that range from 70% to 90%.
It offers a number of optional coverages, including for vet visit fees and costs related to physical therapy and dental illnesses.
- Transparent and hassle-free claims process.
- Fast and easy online policy setup.
- Limited to cats and dogs.
Unique Benefit: Lemonade operates on a "Giveback" model, donating unclaimed premiums to charities.
9. Pets Best - Ensuring Best Care for Your Pets
Summary: Pets Best is No. 1 in our rating of the Best Pet Insurance Companies. The insurer offers a range of choices for customizing a policy and has multiple plans that offer unlimited coverage. It’s available in all 50 states and has shorter waiting periods than some insurers we studied: three days for accidents and 14 days for illnesses. All plans provide access to the insurer’s 24/7 Pet Helpline, which can provide answers to pet-related questions day or night.
Coverage and costs: Pets Best sells policies covering accidents and illnesses, and also has a plan that covers accidents only. Its accident-and-illness plans cover injuries related to accidents, illnesses such as cancer, hereditary conditions, and congenital conditions. Hospitalizations and surgeries, as well as some tests and scans, are covered as well.
Its accident-only plan covers bites, lacerations, fractures, and other conditions resulting from accidental injury. Optional wellness coverage is available.
We found a sample rate of $26.51 per month, on average, to cover a dog with a Pets Best policy. Its sample monthly rate for a cat is $11.76. Pets Best offers a discount for insuring multiple pets and has a military discount as well.
Customizations: The accident-and-illness plans offer a number of deductible options, reimbursement rates from 70% to 90%, and annual coverage limits from $2,500 to unlimited. The accident-only plan has set terms: A $250 deductible, a 90% reimbursement rate, and a $10,000 annual limit.
- Multiple coverage options and add-ons available.
- Quick and efficient claims processing.
- Some customers mention rate increases over time.
Unique Benefit: Pets Best offers a 24/7 Pet Helpline for expert advice on pet health.
10. PetFirst - Putting Pets First
PetFirst has been in business for over 12 years and understands the importance of helping pet parents pay for unexpected veterinary care. PetFirst was founded by Brent Hinton and Lansdon Robbins after Brent had to put his dog down following an injury. It was from this tragedy that Brent and Lansdon decided they wanted to help alleviate financial worries as much as possible when it came to veterinary care. In just over a decade, they have quickly become the fastest growing pet insurance company in the country, and are completely dedicated to helping pet owners keep their beloved furry friends healthy as long as can be. PetFirst helps provide the financial assistance many pet owners need in emergency situations and they also provide discounts for families with multiple insured pets
- Comprehensive coverage for accidents, illnesses, and preventive care.
- Quick turnaround for claim processing.
- Some customers report occasional issues with claims denial.
Unique Benefit: PetFirst offers a 14-day waiting period for accidents, one of the shortest in the industry.
Selecting the best pet insurance requires careful consideration of your pet's needs and your preferences. Visit the respective websites for more details and make an informed decision to ensure the optimal health and happiness of your beloved pets.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
- What does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance cover?
- Our comprehensive plan covers accidents, illnesses (including cancer), and a variety of chronic, congenital, and hereditary conditions for dogs and cats. It includes diagnostics, surgeries, hospitalizations, prescription medications, and alternative treatments like acupuncture.
- What percentage of vet costs does Healthy Paws reimburse?
- Healthy Paws reimburses up to 90% of covered veterinary expenses, providing financial peace of mind for pet owners.
- Are there any caps on payouts?
- No, there are no per-incident, annual, or lifetime caps on payouts, ensuring continuous support for your pet's health needs.
- What is not covered by Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
- Exam fees, wellness care, dental healthcare, and preexisting conditions are not covered by our policies.
- How can I file a claim?
- Claims can be conveniently filed online or through our user-friendly mobile app. Most claims are processed within 2 days.
- Can I customize my insurance plan?
- Yes, plans can be customized by choosing a deductible and reimbursement percentage that fits your budget. Adjusting the deductible and reimbursement rate can impact the premium.
- How can I obtain a quote for Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
- Quotes can be obtained easily online, allowing you to explore the coverage options and costs tailored to your pet's needs.
- What is the charitable aspect of Healthy Paws?
- Healthy Paws has a foundation that supports rescue organizations, contributing to pet medical care. We make a donation for each insurance quote received.
- In which states is Healthy Paws Pet Insurance available?
- Our coverage is available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, providing accessibility and protection nationwide.
- 10 pet insurance companies in USA,
- top 10 pet insurance companies in USA,
- 10 best pet insurance companies in USA,
- good pet insurance companies in USA,
- top 10 pet insurance companies,
- top 10 pet insurance companies by coverage,
- top pet insurance companies in USA,
- pet insurance company in USA,
- list of pet insurance companies in USA,
- pet insurance companies in USA,
- pet insurance companies in America,
- top ten pet insurance companies by coverage,
- top 10 pet insurance companies by claims,
- pet health insurance providers in USA,
- top 10 pet insurance companies for dogs,
- pet health insurance companies in USA,
- top 5 pet insurance companies USA,
- companies with pet insurance in USA,
- pet insurance companies in NJ,
- pet insurance new jersey companies,
- top ten pet insurance companies by claims,
- local pet insurance companies,
- pet life insurance companies,
- pet life insurance USA,
- medical pet insurance companies,
- major medical nationwide pet insurance,
- pets r us insurance,
- reputable pet insurance companies,
- top 10 pet insurance companies 2021,
- top 3 pet insurance companies,
- top 5 pet insurance companies,